A marketing slogan that I'd like WMF to banish is that Wikipedia is 100%
written by volunteers. That's simply false. Wikipedia is written by
individuals with a mix of motives, and for some people those motives
include financial compensation.

Diverging a little into the topic of paid contributions: generally I feel
that *disclosed* paid editing is ok so long as it's done in a manner that's
compliant with our policies. For example, a museum staffer who publicly
discloses their affiliation and writes on Wikipedia about a fossil that the
museum has in its collection may be a net positive writer for the
encyclopedia. On the other hand, a someone who's a POV-pusher for a
political interest, whether paid or unpaid, may be a net negative for the
encyclopedia.

In any case, Wikipedia is only partially written by volunteers, and public
communications from WMF should be consistent with this reality.

Pine