The fact that someone is not paid *by WMF* to edit does not mean that they
are a volunteer. That would be like saying that a newspaper salesperson
standing at the door of a grocery store is a volunteer because he is not
paid by the grocer and instead paid by the newspaper. As with paid
contributors to Wikipedia, the newspaper salesperson's presence at the door
of the grocery store may or
may not be in compliance with the policies of the grocery store.

Agreed that perfect neutrality is difficult, but we try to achieve
neutrality through the wisdom of the crowds and avoiding undue weight. We
have a policy on neutrality; we don't have a policy that forbids all paid
editing, and in some cases I feel that paid editors who are honest about
their affiliations and compensation can be net positives on Wikipedia.

Pine