We have the purpose of providing free access to information, information
from any publicly  accessible source, paid or free. Before we had the
Wikipedia Library, sources of information from many extremely expensive
paid sources were not readily available to our editors except for those
having a connection to a major university library.  Now that we do have it,
at least some of this is accessible to at least some active editors, who
can incorporate the information from them into our articles, and thus make
it freely accessible to the world. That's enough justification.

If all we did was re-package information that was already freely available,
our role would be very  limited. The existence of restrictions on  access
to limitation is of course very unfortunate. Making a change in this system
is on of the additional purposes of Wikipedia. We do this in multiple ways.
Among them is providing an example of open publishing; among them is
advocacy for the lessening of copyright and other restrictions, and also
 writing free material based on unfree. The principle of what we do is,
what will be best for the encyclopedia.

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG