I just want to call out Oliver's post here as extremely valuable, and this
bears repeating:

A "flat" org structure is not a panacea when you don't have a level playing
field, and the playing field's never as level as we like to think it is.

Google up some discussions on the subject of 'meritocracy' and you'll find
talk about all kinds of inequalities in the power dynamics in
free/open-source software and similar online cultures, as well as many
engineering/"high-tech" organizations in general. I won't go into more here
now, but I think it's something we need to seriously think more about,
especially since we're at the intersection of many different cultures.

-- brion