Seriously ?

If the board decide to keep the CEO/ED, the board cannot go and undermine
the authority of the CEO by communicating doubts.

The mistake was not to say unanimous support but the "keep the ED" straw
poll result. It really surprised me because the more you wait the more it
costs (talents leave, delayed arrival of a new CEO, ...), and honnestly
there is no recovery possible at 90% of disapproval from your staff
(C-levels included).