Hoi,
When we recognise that an editor has different needs we should provide
editors with different tools. Readers in turn do not need all the tools of
editors but we do want to convert them to editors. It does not follow that
they will be enticed to become one by all the clutter.

The objective is therefore to invite them in a less cluttered way and give
them the option to enable the "clutter" an editor needs. This can be done
in different ways.. It just takes the recognition what it is we want and
need and that one size fits all is plain stupid.
Thanks,
       GerardM