Hi Lane,

While I agree that it's good for people to encourage their
chapters/other organizations to vote, we would need to know whether
they've voted before doing this...

As far as I can see, the voting is entirely done on chapterswiki -
which is fair enough, and it's reasonable to have this semi-private.
However, it means that the only people who can tell if a given chapter
has voted or not are people closely associated with the chapters, who
presumably already know whether they've voted or not.

Would it be possible to have a public list of which organizations have
voted and which ones have yet to do so? I don't think this would
materially affect the confidentiality of the vote itself, and it might
help encourage some groups to actually vote.

Andrew.

On 3 May 2016 at 12:43, Lane Rasberry <l...@bluerasberry.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As of now, 13 of 42 eligible organizations have voted in the 2016 chapters'
> election for 2 of 10 Wikimedia Foundation seats on the board of trustees.
> In the last election, 1/3 of organizations did not vote. Anyone who wishes
> to influence the election could do so by asking sleepier chapters to vote
> by the May 7 end of election.
>
> Feel free also to pressure more active chapters to do their duty to support
> less organized chapters in voting. Support can mean having
> chapter-to-chapter encouragement to vote. All chapters appreciate being
> reminded. All eligible organizations are supposed to vote. The election
> result is more sound with more votes.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016
>
> yours,
>
> --