I don't see the point of paying for legal and community safety experts
if we aren't going to allow them to engage in their area of
professional expertise.  Transparency, due process, and community
governance are important values, but they are not the skills you need
to bring to bear when it comes to issues such as, for example,
predatory individuals victimizing underage editors.   I know this
sounds like "won't somebody think of the children!" but the thought of
untrained volunteers, however sensitive and well meaning they are,
attempting to deal with an issue like this frightening, and the
thought of what passes for community governance on the English
Wikipedia attempting to deal with this is positively bonechilling.  It
has very real consequences for the real, offline lives of victims and
opens volunteers and projects to significant legal jeopardy.