There is actually quite a bit of community involvement in the process.
They repeatedly respond to community requests for information about
processes and are open to community feedback regarding them.  What they
won't do is give you specific information about specific cases, and so the
demands for extreme transparency will never be satisfied.   I would support
a call for an independent professional audit, from inside or outside the
WMF, of cases or processes, but these details should never be revealed to
volunteers who do not possess the training to deal with these sensitive
issues or have any professional or legal accountability if they screw up or
release personal information, as has happened numerous times when community
volunteers were entrusted with these tasks.

Personally I have completely lost faith in the clown car of community
governance, but I understand that to many in our community it is an
important value.  But as Nathan said, community governance is not always
the best tool.  Why do we believe that the same tools can deal with the
problems of deciding what to put on the front page and what to do about a
victimized child?

And to this I would add that these are not issues of community governance
at all.   The WMF should not interfere in matters of community governance
like policy issues regarding article content, etc.  But when we are talking
about issues regarding off-wiki harassment, sexual predators, etc., why
should this fall under the banner of community governance as it has nothing
to do with writing an encyclopedia?  These are legal, real world issues and
should be handled by professionals and/or law enforcement.