Pine,

It's unusual, and discouraged by the IRS (the United States' tax agency),
for board members to be paid. I won't get into details, but I think this is
a good thing, as it's tough to avoid conflict of interest when earning
money from an entity you're seeking to get funding for. You can read a bit
more here:
https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/can-board-members-be-paid

However, if board members have to spend substantial time in the course of
their duties, that's something that could and should be solved. As I
understand it, the board could pay support staff (roles like "assistant to
the treasurer" or "assistant to the secretary"). They've already taken this
route to some degree by appointing WMF staff to serve officer roles; this
seems problematic to me, since as I understand it, the core function of
board officers is to provide oversight over the organization's staff. (So
it's odd to have a treasurer providing oversight over themselves.)

But unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing that would prevent the board from
hiring its own staff, as many as they deem appropriate, outside the
organizational structure of the WMF, simply to support the work of the
board members themselves.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]