Hello,

In the last community election a Google employee, a physician, and a
Harvard business professor were selected. These are all higher income
professions. There were a range of reasons for this, but one commonality to
note was that the people favored by the community also might have been
people who were more highly paid than the competition. Probably all the
people elected last time had some kind of support staff under their
management, whether from a department of some sort or under their
leadership somehow. It is not as if any of the selected candidates were
rich, but it might be the case that the entire process makes board members
with a certain amount of money much more effective and influential than
those who are below a certain income level. In some cases, money is a sign
of a more effective leader, and in other cases, maybe it is possible for a
person to have less money but more important influence in other ways.

I like Pete's idea of the board being empowered to hire support staff,
which as far as I know does not currently happen. Besides outright pay
there could be other investments in the board, like for example, maybe
board members could share a secretary to help them schedule appointments to
hear comments from the Wikimedia community. Or maybe they could get funding
for a videographer to take statements from them from time to time, if that
helps them communicate board business more effectively to the Wikimedia
community. I think it is still the case that many board members get through
their terms without ever publishing a statement about what they as an
individual think or do, or if any individual records are kept, I am not
sure where to see them. Maybe board members should get a travel allotment
to do some wiki-diplomacy if they like, because being on the WMF board is
inherently empowering and someone who can pay their own travel can get all
sorts of negotiating opportunities for the Wikimedia community that a
person who cannot pay cannot. Maybe they could have a translation budget,
since they are elected to represent communities which need urgent access to
international conversations while one of their own is speaking in a
leadership role. I am not sure what the support should be but being wealthy
on an international scale should not be a prerequisite to getting the
fullness of the experience.

Pay might not be the exact solution but also diversity includes economic
diversity, and I do not want the board perpetually slanted to favor the
views of those better off financially without serious consideration of what
it is like to be on the board with less personal income.

I really do not want a board member's service halted because their time was
consumed otherwise over a small amount of money. Any inexpensive thing that
can be done to make someone's life and Wiki engagement a little more open
and easy should be done, because once someone is elected, suddenly the
community of many tens of thousands really depends on every hour they are
able to contribute.

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814