On 21 January 2018 at 12:56, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you think merely avoiding the most mass-produced and arguably
> widest backdoor is a step in the right direction?

Security though obscurity against state level actors? That is not
going to work. And yes I know you seem to think that exploits are
deliberate back-doors but that position requires an alarming degree of
faith in the competence of the average programmer.

> That they need not risk losing their prized exploit capabilities
> because they can't use them against open source hardware
> makes us safer or less safe than if they could use them but
> we spent less money?

Open source hardware is going to have exploits. From the POV of a
state level actor burning those exploits is cheap since pretty much no
one uses open source hardware. Thus the risk associated with
compromising someone using open source hardware is pretty low. For
someone using something more mainstream the risk is rather higher.
--
geni