Hoi,
First, what the Foundation does is not in order to protect itself but to
protect its readers, its authors.

Second, when you consider security theatre, consider the other countries
and then consider the countries where security has a better chance than the
USA. Be advised that in many, most countries citizens of other countries
are fair game and that the USA is often an active participant in odious
regimes in many countries.

Third, when we give up on security we are complicit. We have to consider
what companies like Facebook do to create their own hardware and when we
can strengthen the move to a state where Cisco hardware is no longer used
(Cisco has a bad reputation for open backdoors).

Fourth, what was the use of HTTPS about if all we do is theatre? NO; it is
relevant and lets make it more so.
Thanks,
     GerrdM