If the Foundation Endowment paid for translations of articles across
Wikipedias, it would still be like a Foundation Grant in terms of the
legal effect on the DMCA safe harbor provisions and the practical
effect on whether mistakes could bring the Foundation into disrepute.

Maybe the Foundation could pay for translations, as long as a much
smaller independent third party was reviewing them for fidelity and
freedom from bias under conditions where a group of people are trying
to confound the paid reviewers by including a constant but small
proportion of intentionally inaccurate and biased proposed
translations to make sure that the reviewer quality is sufficient.

If that doesn't work, then the independent third party anti-bias QA
organization could grow to do the translation, perhaps as a thematic
organization supported by both outside and less than half internal
Foundation grants.

Best regards,
Jim