From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
WereSpielChequers
Sent: 04 March 2018 11:54
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Paid translation

Pine, there is one possible way to fund such translation in the future; The
Foundation is building up an endowment. When that endowment has grown to the
point where the annual return is sufficient to fund the Foundation, then you
could re-purpose the annual fundraiser from collecting money to host Wikipedia,
to collecting money to make Wikipedia available in other languages.

If I'm correct in thinking that part of the problem for many of our widely
spoken languages with weak wikipedias is that the more educated people who
speak those languages are more likely to contribute edits in what is to them a
higher status or more language or one more useful to their career, then maybe
we should test using fundraiser  type advertising to ask our English readers in
places like India to translate articles from English to Indic languages.

In some parts of the world where incomes are generally very low and financial
donations reflect that perhaps we have little to lose by shifting now from
asking for funds to asking for content donations, especially in the language of
that area.

WereSpielChequers

> On the subject of paid translation, I could imagine this being
> included in the scope of work for a "Wiki Community Foundation" or
> "Wiki Content Foundation" that would do work that WMF doesn't do
> and/or shouldn't do. I have a number of activities in mind for this kind of
> organization.
> Unfortunately, I do not know how to fund it. I think that this
> organization should get most of its funding from non-WMF sources, and
> WMF has such strong fundraising capabilities that I think that
> competing with WMF for funding from readers and grant-making
> organizations would be very difficult. If WMF would like to have
> conversations about how the community could raise funds directly from
> readers and non-WMF foundations, I for one would be very interested in having
> that conversation.
>
> Pine
> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

---