James, I don't think anyone has suggested using the endowment money to fund
translations. That money is being collected for the purpose of guaranteeing the
projects future, even if we enter an era where the fundraiser doesn't work.
Repurposing that pot of money in such a way would have ethical and hopefully
legal implications.

But once that endowment is big enough to take over the task of funding the
foundation, the annual fundraiser will no longer be needed to fund core
foundation activity. It could then be repurposed with translation as one of the
things that we ask people to donate to, and in such a scenario there is very
little exposure to the Foundation, especially if the banner is asking people to
donate to the chapter or other organisation that is organising the project. In
the past several chapters have been "payment processors" - funds collected in
their country were collected by them. Moving back from our currently over
centralised organisation to a more decentralised one would mean that money
collected in say India stayed in India at least if it was being collected to
fund translation into Indic languages.

The Foundation doesn't have to handle the money if our fundraising banners were
to ask our readers to fund the activities of the Wikimedia chapter in the
country where they live, or even if people in wealthy areas of the world were
being asked to help people in countries without the libraries that they are
used to, and without the plethora of material available to people who are
literate in one of the main languages of the Internet.

Regards

WereSpielChequers