My kneejerk response was to reject this idea, but it's at least worth
considering;

Working on wikimedia feels productive because permanent artefacts are
produced - articles etc - but these are a direct product of the community
around them. Better community tools will produce better outputs and happier
contributors. You could even bind it tightly to the editing process, e.g.
each article could have a canonical hashtag, and tagged activity could be
viewed from a page similar to a talk page.

Also, reading articles is just one way of consuming knowledge; asking
questions and receiving answers is another common one. A community of
answerers that use wikimedia as their knowledge base could be a powerful
way to provide knowledge-as-a-service, and potentially a very healthy
counterpart to the existing editor community in terms of reader insights.

Publish/subscribe networks are quite malleable things - look at Quora as a
social network with very different community norms - no reason why one
couldn't be mission driven.

At the very least, a mastodon instance that could be linked to your
wikimedia account might be a positive and realistic step towards this.

*Edward Saperia*
Dean of Newspeak House <http://www.nwspk.com>
newsletter <http://www.tinyletter.com/edsaperia> • facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/edsaperia> • twitter