From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Leinonen Teemu
Sent: 09 April 2018 09:46
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Social: non-profit social networking service ?

Hi,

I have been looking for social networking service that would be fair: not
abusing personal data, funded by community, respecting privacy, accepting
anonymity, free/libre/ open source etc. Haven’t found many. The Diaspora*
Project[1] is not moving forward very fast and the Mastodon[2] is more a
microblogging service rather than a social network service.

Would it make sense for Wikimedia movement to build its own social network
service?

In the "2017 Movement strategy” we state: “By 2030, Wikimedia will become the
essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge”. If we consider
discussions and information shared on social network services to be
“knowledge”, I think we should have a role in here too.

We have 33 million registered users and fulfil all the requirements of being a
“fair service”. A minimum list of features to make Wikimedia Social would be:

(1) Status updates
(2) Comments
(3) Likes
(4)Groups
maybe:
(5) Events

I am pretty sure that by integrating this to other Wikimedia services (Commons
etc.) we could achieve something awesome.

        - Teemu

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastodon_(software)

---