I also don't see why it would be such a problem to have more articles about
Pokemon.

Volunteer effort is certainly not zero sum.

Contributing to one area doesn't necessarily mean contributing less to another.

Speaking from personal experience now, one of my earliest Wikipedia edits was
about Pokemon.

It was reverted.

Luckily, I was not discouraged, but I know that many people would be, and that
is a real problem.

I think there's a bias on Wikipedia when weighing the pros and cons of policy,
because it's easy to overlook the absence of something that never was there to
begin with.