Hi Ziko,

I believe the only "official" rationale is in the 2012 Board resolution:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Resolutions/Recognizing_Models_of_Affiliations

and the thinking behind this is documented here, also from 2011-12.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project

I do not know of any serious discussion on the subject until 2019, when a
you may know the Roles and Responsibilities strategy working group looked
at this and similar issues, and came to the conclusion that we should move
away from the idea of "WMF and affiliates"  to a more distributed approach
with a network of equal entities filling different roles, and more
structures to support and coordinate between them. (There are some
similarities between that and what the Wikimedians in Russia seem to be
moving towards organically, which is interesting.)

Chris