Hoi,
When the WMF wants to "green" itself, the most effective way is to make its
software and operations greener. The software will reduce the need for
energy, the operations ensure that green energy is used. Reducing the need
for energy is an investment that will reduce the overall cost and has an
effect not only in the datacentres of the WMF but also in the transport of
data all over the world. It is only an investment in the time of engineers,
there are no other downsides.

In addition you may consider our travels because we want to be green. The
biggest problem is that as an organisation that NEEDS to bring our
community together, such an aim is like digging a hole we are bound to be
unable to climb out of.
Thanks,
       GerardM