Hi everyone,

As promised, we are back with an update and a new timeline to discuss names
as a movement. We are excited to take on naming together beginning 16 June.
Here is an overview of what happened and what to expect:

After additional weeks of legal review and a conversation with the Board of
Trustees at their 22 May meeting, we have alignment to present three naming
convention proposals for movement-wide review on 16 June.

The Board of Trustees affirmed support for the project [1] and vetted
various naming options. They explored legal and financial implications of
different approaches, and evaluated them based on their potential to act as
compelling, unifying tools to elevate the work we are currently doing and
ensure the future of our movement. Based on these assessments, the
movement-wide review will revolve around two naming convention proposals
centered on Wikipedia, one that is a Wiki/Wikipedia hybrid, and an open
response area where respondents can share their own naming proposals.  We
feel confident that the vetting process has led to solid proposals, while
we also want to ensure we are open to your ideas  and are committed to
reviewing suggestions made in the open response area.

While these weeks of work have reconfirmed that naming structures centered
entirely on “Wiki” would not be legally feasible or financially
responsible, we were able to uncover ways in which “Wiki” can be used as
part of movement naming. We know there will be questions around this, and
look forward to discussing more in detail during the upcoming live
presentation.

***Join us for the live presentation [2] of the three Naming Convention
Proposals on 16 June at 15:00 UTC.***

We will present the various options that were considered, the risks and
rewards of each, and how the process arrived at the three options for
review.

As previously planned, the movement-wide review to follow will be
multilingual and will rely on surveys for individual contributors,
affiliates, and Foundation depts, as well as open discussion on Meta-Wiki,
from 16 June to 30 June. The two weeks of feedback will help to remove,
refine and recombine elements from the proposals into a single, synthesized
proposal.

We look forward to talking names with you soon.

Best,

- Zack & the Brand Project Team

[1]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Brand_Project_Support_(May_2020)