What about the San Jose Convention Center?

--- On Wed, 1/27/10, Luca de Alfaro <l...@dealfaro.org> wrote:

From: Luca de Alfaro <l...@dealfaro.org>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-SF] hosting Wikimania?
To: "San Francisco Wikimedians" <wikimedia-sf@lists.wikimedia.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 5:49 PM

I have also been told that Google does not have enough space; nearby, there is
the Computer History Museum, but that holds also only up to 400 people...

Luca

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Robert Rohde <raro...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ay...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'd say 1000 is a high number, 800

> attendees would be much more likely. We've typically had 4-6

> concurrent tracks at past conferences. And then -- and this is the

> toughest part -- having a "community space" where people can hang out

> during the conf with laptops, after-hours, etc., is great. This has

> been a big room with couches, the last few conferences.

> At Berkeley, other than the keynotes issue (and it looks like Wheeler

> or Zellerbach would work for that) it looks like the Clark Kerr campus

> would fit the bill nicely:

> http://conferenceservices.berkeley.edu/summer_conf_ckc_fp.html

> This has a wide variety of rooms, plus:

> "Accommodations in suites and residence hall rooms are available for

> approximately 700 guests."

> NO idea about costs, though.

> Y'all are getting into this!

It is worth noting that the Clark Kerr campus is a separate location

about a half of a mile from the main campus.  Most people at Berkeley

never have anything to do with Clark Kerr facility and hence don't

really know what is there.

Because it is a bit of a walk between the two, it would probably be

best to have events primarily at either Clark Kerr or at the main

campus.  But doing a lot at both sites would be very awkward.

-Robert Rohde

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----