Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'd say 1000 is a high number, 800
attendees would be much more likely. We've typically had 4-6
concurrent tracks at past conferences. And then -- and this is the
toughest part -- having a "community space" where people can hang out
during the conf with laptops, after-hours, etc., is great. This has
been a big room with couches, the last few conferences.

At Berkeley, other than the keynotes issue (and it looks like Wheeler
or Zellerbach would work for that) it looks like the Clark Kerr campus
would fit the bill nicely:
http://conferenceservices.berkeley.edu/summer_conf_ckc_fp.html

This has a wide variety of rooms, plus:
"Accommodations in suites and residence hall rooms are available for
approximately 700 guests."

NO idea about costs, though.

Y'all are getting into this!
-- phoebe