On 2009-Jun-20 11:40:28 +0800, Andrew <orderinchao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Also, schools don't have equal access to online resources - the school I
>worked at in 2007 (a large state high school) you had to book the lab at
>least a week in advance and could only get it for an hour, and there was no
>net access in the classrooms.

At least for high-schools, the laptops-for-learning programs should fix
a lot of this.  At least in NSW, part of the L4L rollout will be WiFi
coverage in most, if not all, classrooms.

> As such, the resource plan would have to
>consider how they might be used by teachers - i.e. trying to ensure maximum
>uptake and that we actually have a useful product.

Though this is still true.  At least within my son's school, the staff
are still trying to come up with ideas on how to integrate the laptops
into the teaching process.  Being able to point to sections of the
curriculum and proposing how Wikipedia and/or WM-AU can help them meet
the "outcomes" will probably be useful.

>I'm happy to help from the WA side, although I am of the firm belief that
>*Wikipedia* (as opposed to other Wiki-based delivery methods) as such is not
>the most useful avenue to do this. In my field, the articles are far too
>technical / high-level for the high school students to understand (or in
>some cases even me, and I have a degree minor in the stuff!)

This also implies that those articles are not accessible to the
average adult, which I feel is undesirable.  It would be useful to
adapt the articles to improve accessibility, without losing the more
technical details.

> and often have
>concepts in them which are not within the various Australian curricula.

As article should not be ignored solely because it includes more
information/detail than required.  As long as the relevant material
can identified, it could still be useful.

--
Peter Jeremy