- a post-glam movement ;-)

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at
<mailto:wikimediaau-l%40lists.wikimedia.org?Subject=%5BWikimediaau-l%5D%20sc
hools%20-%20a%20post-glam%20movement%20%3B-%29&In-Reply-To=1e170f70090619152
8k66d63855vc1d43dc141e9e0d3%40mail.gmail.com>  gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 01:34:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think there is a lot of scope for work we can do with the education
sector. There is also some funding coming up/available that I would
like to see us apply for.

>>> That true. Could we consider the .gov.au sector as well. You may have
read this;
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,,25673234-15306,00.html
The hub for this is here.
http://www.katelundy.com.au/2009/05/29/public-sphere-2-open-government-polic
y-and-practice/

You've only got to compare between edna and govdex to see what happens when
old (sectorized) thinking dominates = duplicates.
Seems like we're coming to the end of the 'tool wars' and beginning to see
the start of the systemization the IP networks which have to pass the data.

What about "going where the teachers are"? Teachers and educators
actually have an awful lot of tech infrastructure set up already.
My guess is that we can have more impact by going to them rather than
dragging them to us.
e.g. the me.edu.au networks:
http://me.edu.au/c/Wikis
http://me.edu.au/c/Wikipedia

>>>That was like a breath of fresh air. If you wanted to get your hands on
some 'grown up' tools, (and you have an .edu.au in your email address)
Try registering here.
http://www.arcs.org.au/join_form?came_from=http%3A//www.arcs.org.au/forums/a
nds
You know I've been talking (on the community pages of me.edu.au) about using
me.edu.au as an Single Sign On to various tools, whose 'front ends' are
scattered around various web sites like this. We could use these ones for
GLAMwiki (and pre and post) to support some distributed conferences in
different localities (a la ABC's qanda).

That also applies to conferences. What if we piggybacked on an existing
event?
<http://www.edna.edu.au/edna/go/events/conferences/cache/offonce;jsessionid=
A27055CE9591E27E200CB229DA53AD8F>
Either by formally asking the organisers to be part of their event, or
just collocating in time and place.
>>> I think this is a matter of what 'message(s)' this community wants to
send. The tools (like wikis), after all, are just a means to ends.
My suggestion would be to focus on principles.
http://www.socialinclusion.gov.au/Principles/Pages/default.aspx

How can we build up our internal strength in the area of public
speaking for these kinds of events? I am afraid we are at risk of
leaning on the same people constantly. Are people just not interested
in speaking about Wikipedia et al? Or are they interested but not sure
what to say, how to say it?
>>> I think workshops are the way to go. You've only got to read Greg
Black's (CEO of education.au) blog, as one dinosaur, thinks about being
involved with the 'messy learning' approach. We're seeing the new dynamic
grow legs now, down on Kate Lundy's blog, and nearby.
http://groups.google.com.au/group/gov20canberra
But we will need to start aggregating the tools and systemizing the
community spaces.

I also agree with Andrew's comment that we have a number of
edu-focused people among us already and we should make sure we are
getting their input before looking further afield.

>>> Amen. So what tools do they need? And I do mean what tools do they need
to be good citizens, not good teachers.

cheers
Brianna