On 02/12/2009, at 12:01 PM, Liam Wyatt wrote:

> Another thing is the use of the geo-ip notice. There is no codified policy
> about how/when it should be deployed, but if there's an event (e.g. Wikipedia
> day celebratory dinner) then that should be reason enough to justify the use
> in the Perth IP ranges.
>
> We used it in Sydney to announce the meetup when Jennifer Riggs and Mathias
> Schindler would be there - approximately half of the people were longtime
> wikimedians who didn't know about the chapter/meetup/in-real-life activities.
> Effectively, just the kind of people we should be trying to attract to
> meetups :-)

In general the way the GeoIP stuff is not well set up or documented.

I've put some very simple instructions for using geonotice on Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Werdna/How_to_use_Geonotices

Hopefully this will get some more relevant Australian geo-notices in place for
meetups, AGMs, invitations to join chapters, and whatever else :)

--
Andrew Garrett
agarr...@wikimedia.org