On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:57:02 +1100
Brian Salter-Duke <b_d...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:09:58AM +1100, Peter Halasz wrote:
> > So lock those specific pages. Have you ever used Wikipedia? Do you
> > think it would exist if they were worried only about representation?
>
> I will try to respond to this debate, wearing my hat as Public Officer
> of WMAU later, but for now let me just say that our official wiki is
> not like wikipedia. It is much more like:

I assume this means this is your personal view?

>  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> As an incorporated association we have legal obligations to the
> community via CAV, not only to the membership. This means the issue of

For those of us not in the know, what is CAV, and can you provide a
reference to it for us to look at?

> access is not simple and it requires thought.  There is also a real

Not simple on the backend? I assume whatever sits behind the login
process is able to automatically remove people who didn't pay (ldap?
sql?). If thats the case its also easy to work out who should be in
certain edit groups: they have valid memberships or not.

> tension here, not only about access. For example, there is also a
> tension between the project's love of anonymity for users, with the
> legal requirements imposed by imcorporating.

Aye. Its entirely possible annon edits will not be a possibility. That
doesn't mean that only members should be able to edit though.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au