To be entirely frank, I would have to agree that given both the long
term and recent "controversies" throughout WMF universe which
culminated in Jimmy recently describing PM as a troll and calling for
him to be globally banned, PM is really not an appropriate person to
lead the chapter in requests to the WMF for not-insignificant amounts
of money. However, I don't have a problem with him suggesting
potential projects and then seeing how others feel about them and
whether they gel with other projects people are currently involved in.

I attended the session on grants at the chapters meeting in Berlin (my
notes are up on the wiki here-
http://www.wikimedia.org.au//wiki/2010_chapters_meeting/Sarahs_notes#Working_group:_Volunteers)
and we discussed the final date for grant applications and Eric made
it clear that while May 15 is listed as the deadline, it's more like a
preferred date. If applications are in by then they'll be processed
more quickly, but we're welcome to submit applications after that
date.

Last year we had to pay back a grant a chapter member requested for an
outreach conference they wanted to run because it fell through and
didn't end up going ahead. Paying back the funds was a real headache
for the committee (especially for Brian as the then-treasurer) and it
took a considerable amount of time to resolve with the foundation. I
don't want to see this happen again so I'd oppose any moves to rush
through any ill-considered applications just to get them in before May
15 or that seem more orientated on getting money for the sake of it or
for the simple stated purpose of engaging with the grant process.
Grant applications are serious, not something that you submit just to
engage with a process and there needs to be a properly thought through
application with an idea of who, what, when, where and how the
proposed project will be run. If we have to pay back another grant,
it's going to reflect very poorly on the chapter so this isn't
something that should just be slapped together at the last minute.

I'd rather see us take the time to discuss possible ideas properly and
get the details of any proposed projects members want to run nutted
out as carefully as possible before submitting applications.