I just signed up to this mail list yesterday (didn't know it had existed
until yesterday).

I had photographed most of the Top End of the NT but lost 80%
(unrecoverable) of my photos during the move down south.

When I returned back to NSW my aim was to cover as much cities, suburbs,
towns, villages and locality not just in NSW but other states and
territories.

Locations in my local (within 15km) area have been covered by walking or
riding a push bike (yes it is possible) and other locations used coaches
(as I don't have a car nor license [I'll get one someday]) which has meant
I've needed to stay overnight and I pay out of my own pocket (My most
recent Canberra trip cost me $50 [return coach ticket], $120 for overnight
accommodation and $8.80 for an ACTION off-peak bus ticket [two days]) and I
plan the places to photograph and map them but even then you only cover 20%
in a day.

In the next few weeks (sometime in June) I will be visiting Point Cook and
then it will be back to Canberra (date is yet to be set) but I'm hoping to
do a two or three day trip to Albury/Wodonga and Temora this year.

There are so many importance and historic places (not just buildings,
statues, trees ect) that have only a few photographs or none at all over
Australia and the earthquake in Kalgoorlie-Boulder just proves that they
can be lost forever. Maybe we should look at forming groups to cover remote
areas and in areas no so remote area. I would even put out the challenge to
cover some areas by public transport and push bikes. ;)

Robert

On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:08:03 +0800, Andrew <orderinchao...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'd like to pitch an idea regarding a possible grant application.
>
> One of the interesting things that came up in Berlin (both Sarah and I
> attended the Outreach Case Studies session where this was discussed) was
> the
> Wikiexpedition done by the Polish Wikipedia - I understand the Czechs
also
> undertook a similar thing and got a grant for it (which included petrol,
> accommodation and buying a camera), and I seem to remember Estonia and a
> few
> others talking along similar lines.
>
> I was talking with a WA volunteer today and one issue we have is that
some
> areas of our great country are hopelessly under-covered. Speaking from a
WA
> point of view, the Wheatbelt region immediately comes to mind, but I'm
sure
> anyone reading this can think of somewhere nearby (or at least within
> reach)
> which falls into this category. In the past, despite my
non-car-ownership,
> I've done what I can to address this, and two other Wikimedians,
Mattinbgn

http://www.wikimedia.org.au//wiki/2010_chapters_meeting/Sarahs_notes#Working_group:_Volunteers