On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:37:23AM +1100, Peter Halasz wrote:
> > A more basic question is why are non-members still non-members?
>
> I have not renewed my membership partly over this issue. (As I said
> previously: it shows WMAU is either moving at a glacial pace or is
> being run by people who simply do not share my values.)
>
> > My biggest concern is that open editing is going to be left for the
> > committee to administrate.
>
> If the discussion has really moved from "why" but to "how", then can I
> suggest using flagged revisions? Seems to be perfectly suited, and
> would save non-members the ridiculous bureaucracy of having to be
> "voted in" as a "webmaster" before fixing a typo, while at the same
> time preserving pages which you don't wish to ever be seen vandalised
> by partner organisations. Discussion pages should of course be
> editable by all.
>
> The suggestion for users to "request a change" through some procedure
> on the talk page strikes me as being rather inelegant to say the
> least.
>
> > Who is going to decide what content is acceptable or not?
>
> I'll come back when you've worked out how to build a community instead
> of a bureaucracy.

There is a major problem. While we do want to build a community as part
of our activities, it is only a part, and we are actually involved in
running an association incorporated under the legislation of the State
of Victoria as interpreted by Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV). They are
likely to look at our wiki and expect it to be an official web site for
the association. We have to be careful to ensure that we confirm with
that legislation. I am afraid that some bureaucracy is unavoidable as
has been clear as we prepared to be part of the fund raiser.

Brian.

> Bye

Brian Salter-Duke bd...@wikimedia.org.au publicoffi...@wikimedia.org.au
                Public Officer, Wikimedia Australia Inc.
   Active on English Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki, Wikiversity, and others.
[[User:Bduke]] is single user account with en:Wikipedia main account.