Pru is right in that they wouldnt verify facts as such how could verify
someones recollection, how could you decide that what a person remember
isnt what they experienced. The value of a oral history in an encyclopedic
subjects is in the emotional side of event, in  being able to provide a
personal quote to compliment the facts. Remembering that facts recorded in
written media are only the combination of personal stories made by the
person reporting who then chooses what to believe before publishing.

On 9 March 2014 06:05, Pru Mitchell <pru.mitch...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Interesting that the question about whether oral history was a valid
> source came up at yesterday`s Paralympics workshop in Melbourne (great day
> by the way for anyone who can get to today`s session).
>
> If someone publishes an oral history do they usually verify facts before
> publishing? We thought not.
> Cheers, Pru
> Pru Mitchell
> pru.mitch...@gmail.com
>

> On 8 Mar 2014, at 11:37 pm, Andrew Owens <orderinchao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> that's a very valid point. I heard something a while ago about an
> initiative between India and South Africa supported by WMF which was
> collecting oral information from elders in those places in such a way that
> it could be used as a verifiable source on Wikipedia on topics not readily
> covered by regular secondary sources.
>
> kindest regards
> Andrew
>

> On 8 March 2014 19:52, Janet Reid <lucych...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 March 2014 21:54, Craig Franklin <cfrank...@halonetwork.net> wrote:
>>
>>> For what it's worth, this is something I thought about a lot during my
>>> time involved with WMAU.
>>>
>>> I don't think an Indigenous language Wikipedia is going to be viable in
>>> the short term.
>>>

>> It would be nice for there to be a way to recognise Aboriginal
>> perspectives.
>> Citing is likely to be a challenge.
>>
>> Once I showed some community women in Maree the page for Maree
>> It said her language was extinct. She said it was not.
>> I posted to the talk page that local people did still speak the language.
>> But the source was a living person whereas the extinction was citing a
>> published book.
>>
>> Is there a different kind of wiki project which could accommodate that
>> kind of perspective/source.
>> Is it possible to make articles which are relevant in their relevant
>> languages?
>> Not make a full wikipedia but capture descriptions of communities and
>> places in the relevant language?
>>
>> just a thought

GN.
Vice President Wikimedia Australia