We should talk a bit more with the Mozilla Foundation about that.

I've seen how far you can push video editing for the (social) web with
Popcorn <https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/Popcorn/> at Mozilla Festival, last
october in London; there's definitely an interest, a frustration and high
expectations by a lot of Wikimedians AND news professionals in this field.

Same goes for sound in Commons: we have to be at least on par with
Soundcloud, some day...

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Manuel Schneider <
manuel.schnei...@wikimedia.ch> wrote:

> Am 16.01.2014 12:59, schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
> > Instead of introducing full MPG4 support, we could support the
> > development of a tool to transform a MPG4 file into an Open format which
> > could be used on Commons.
>
> This is what I am looking for since a longer time and even made a
> proposal to the WMF, which got dismissed due to the patent problematics.
>
> The point is that we don't just need a conversion service but also a way
> allowing us to collaboratively work on videos and store our raw videos
> (this is where MP4 / H.264 comes in).
>
> So if the WMF can sort out the legal problem on accepting H.264, I would
> vote to only use it as an input format (which is one of the options on
> the RfC page). With that done, we could finally implement a video
> solution allowing collaborative editing and storage of raw material.
>
> The output always should be a free codec / format, fully agree with that.
>
> Find a description on what I mean here:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-January/129671.html
>

> /Manuel
> --
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

*- Yann Heurtaux*
Freelance Conversationalist
@shalf - http://shalf.me