2008/12/7 Oldak Quill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> 2008/12/7 Thomas Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> Thanks, but I got in via a different route. Thing is I suspect that issue
>>> will be catching many others too. This whole thing is a disaster sfaiac
>>> for editors and readers alike.
>>
>> Indeed. There's not a lot we can do about it, though... hopefully the
>> press will take the "Evil ISPs censor the wonderful Wikipedia" angle
>> rather than the "Wikipedia serves up kiddy porn" angle and IWF will be
>> forced by the bad publicity to reverse their position. We'll know by
>> mid-way through Monday at the latest, I guess.
>
> An Associated Press article has just been posted at FoxNews website:
> http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Dec07/0,4670,EUBritainWikipediaCensorship,00.html
>
> Including ZDNet and The Register, this is the largest (albeit,
> international) news source to mention the story. The story is geared
> towards ISP censorship and the collateral of proxy filtering, rather
> than the image itself.
>
> "Robertson [IWF spokeswoman] said that image _ a picture from one of
> the band's album covers _ was first flagged by an Internet user last
> week. The Internet Watch Foundation consulted with British law
> enforcement before concluding that the picture could break the law,
> she said."

The story has been picked up by a number of sources over the last 12
hours. The coverage seems to be in Wikipedia's favour, or neutral.
Keeping track here:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1278170482

-Sky News
(http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Technology/Wikipedia-Entry-On-Virgin-Killers-Album-By-The-Scorpions-Blocked-Over-Naked-Girl-Picture/Article/200812215174370?lpos=Technology_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15174370_Wikipedia_Entry_On_Virgin_Killers_Album_By_The_Scorpions_Blocked_Over_Naked_Girl_Picture)

-Sydney Morning Herald
(http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/web/wikipedia-added-to-child-pornography-blacklist/2008/12/08/1228584723764.html)

""We have no reason to believe the article, or the image contained in
the article, has been held to be illegal in any jurisdiction anywhere
in the world," said the Wikimedia Foundation's general counsel, Mike
Godwin.

"We believe it's worth noting that the image is currently visible on
Amazon, where the album can be freely purchased by UK residents. It is
available on thousands of websites that are accessible to the UK
public."

Ironically, the banning of the image has only made it visible to more
people as news sites publicise the issue and the image spreads across
sites other than Wikipedia."

-The Guardian
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/08/wikipedia-censorship)

-Metro