On 6 April 2011 00:36, Andrew Turvey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I remember back in 2008 when Wikimedia UK was relaunched there was a
> debate about whether people involved in the chapter should have to
> disclose their online identities. In the end most people did but the
> conclusion was that it shouldn't be mandatory.
>
> There are quite a few people on Wikipedia who are quite protective of
> their pseudonymity - particularly people who are admins involved in
> contentous issues - and I think we should respect that.
>
> Having said that, I agree with Mike that a question on the wiki would
> be a good place to ask that question.

Thanks for adding the question at
<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2011_election:_Candidate_questions>

I understand why it is not compulsory for candidates to disclose their
wiki-identity, but it is difficult to evaluate candidates who talk
about their wiki-experience in their statements without providing
their user name.  It is an odd situation that using your real name
confers anonymity in these elections, where on-wiki the user name
provides the anonymity, but if candidates want to refer to their
wikimedia experience then I think that they must reveal their user
name(s) even if they have previously fought hard to preserve the
anonymity of their user name.  At any rate, I will not be voting for
any candidate who does not reveal their wiki-identity, even if I know
who they are.

Andrew (BabelStone)

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to