I've placed my name (of Victuallers) on the list, I think it was implied
that by revealling your real name then you were also revealling the link to
your on-wiki identity. Why you should want to vote for "Roger Bamkin" (for
example) is obscure without knowing he is "Victuallers". I know who all
these people are (now) and I find it tricky to believe anyone hopes to keep
the link between identities a secret.

On 6 April 2011 23:31, Andrew West <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 6 April 2011 13:39, Deryck Chan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > May I suggest that candidates are allowed to answer Q3 on this mailing
> list,
> > rather than on the WMUK wiki, should they so desire?
> > I understand that candidates should disclose their usernames if they want
> to
> > refer to their on-wiki experience. However, I don't think it's necessary
> to
> > do so on a public wiki. I believe all candidates are fine with disclosing
> > the link between their online and offline identities to members of the
> > chapter, but some may not feel comfortable disclosing to the whole world.
>
> It seems a pointless exercise to try to conceal one's identity, as
> candidates are bound to disclose their user name if they answer any of
> the questions put to them on wikimedia-uk (or otherwise interact on
> the site), unless they don't sign in, in which case, how do we know
> that the ip answering the questions really is the candidate?  It is
> also easy enough to work out the current and previous wikipedia user
> names of the candidates from the information they supply, but I think
> that it would be a courtesy to the wikimedia-uk community to tell us
> who they are of their own volition.  I'm not trying to out anybody,
> but it seems to me that you cannot expect to be elected to the board
> of wikimedia-uk and remain "anonymous" (in as much as a real name
> means nothing to me, but I might well be familiar with a wp user
> name).
>
> Andrew (BabelStone)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia UK mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
> WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org
>



-- 
Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to