On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Andrew West <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Totally agree.  I think it is reasonable that candidates should be
> asked to reveal their wikimedia user names (I'm not sure it should be
> made compulsory though), but demanding that they reveal all their
> multifarious online identities unrelated to wikimedia is going way too
> far, and would be an unenforceable and unwarranted invasion of
> privacy.
>
> Andrew

Personally I would also agree. We also have to balance the need for
voters to have all the information they reasonably require to make
their decision with a need to encourage people to come forward to
stand for election.

Pseudonymity is still very much a part of the internet, and many
people still run blogs, twitter accounts and so forth on that basis.
If they're not related to Wikimedia, I'm not sure I understand why
people should be compelled to reveal them - or indeed how such a rule
could ever be enforced.

I'd rather leave it up to the voters to decide.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia UK mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l
WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Reply via email to