Richard, thanks for that explanation. I may be barking up the wrong tree
but I'll jump in anyway.

If memberships became due each 1st of January, fundraising/dues collection
could be easier. I realize that there would be many logistical hurdles
which may moot this suggestion.

Is it plausible that WMUK could ask members if they'd be willing to pay
both the membership from their next expiration date to the next normal
expiration date PLUS their next year's dues for the year of 2014 with the
understanding that their membership period will thenceforth be from January
to January and will next be due on 1 January 2015. I realize that some
members would say, "No."

Alternatively, could WMUK ask members if they would voluntarily relinquish
their leftover membership periods at midnight on the 31 December 2013 AND
start their memberships over the next day? Again I realize some members may
say, "No," because of the lost value of X months of membership.

Final alternative, might WMUK ask members if to anonymously gift part-year
memberships on behalf of other anonymous members from the date the
membership in question expires. For a membership expiring on 5 September
2013, the donor would pay through 31 December 2013. Then the member
receiving the gifted dues could pre-pay their membership for the year of
2014 on 5 September when they would have normally paid anyway. If this sort
of thing were agreed to by all, I'd be willing to gift a couple of partial
year memberships.

Just a thought,

Jess