On 5 September 2015 at 19:11, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Oliver Keyes wrote:
>>On the general subject of codes of conduct and what they bring (or
>>don't bring) in terms of user safety and a sense of inclusion, I
>>recently encountered http://wp.me/p11Aax-4aq on Twitter - it's an
>>interesting read and brings up a couple of points definitely worth
>>thinking about, namely that the intent behind a CoC is not to be the
>>be-all and end-all of user safety but instead to set a very minimum bound
>>of what is acceptable.
>
> Am I supposed to know what a manfeeling is? It seems weird to me that the
> push (perhaps a movement, who knows) to implement codes of conduct has
> become so enmeshed with the ultra-liberal feminist movement. I think there
> are people who sympathize with and even support efforts to have codes of
> conduct in technical spaces, but who don't want to feel demonized for
> being male. There's a dark irony in sites such as Geek Feminism Wiki
> feeling the need to prominently answer "Are men welcome here?" in their
> FAQ (<http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Geek_Feminism_Wiki_FAQ>).
>
> This isn't to say that there aren't good ideas and good people behind some
> of this content, but I can see a lot potential allies to the code of
> conduct cause being put off by the militant feminist language and
> overeager citations of feminist theory.

It seems weird to me that a conversation about codes of conduct is
being shifted into a discussion of "but the people writing about codes
of conduct, let's debate where they fall on an ideological spectrum".
This thread is not for discussing "militant feminist language" or
"demonizing people for being male", this is about having a code of
conduct, full stop. If you want to start a conversation about
"militant feminism" I'm sure there is a mailing list out there for
that, but it is not this one.

> MZMcBride

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula