> I for one think that requiring a specific filesystem structure or notice in
> a git repo is quite far afield from the sorts of things that CoC is
> designed to deal with.

I agree. I do think that as a community of practice we have many
unwritten rules and numerous expectations of how we work together. We
don't explicitly define the expectation of a README.MD file in repos
either.[0] It's a best practice and cultural expectation in our spaces
to include one. The code works the same with or with out it.

Yeah, sure a coc.md isn’t “the same”, but both are expected as
something we do as a community. If we need to write that down
somewhere so there's no repeat confusion on if it's expected or not,
that seems like a good compromise. However, I'd like to think we don't
have to define everything, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

[0] I'm waiting for someone to contradict me on this risky comparison.
:) I could not find anything explicit in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/New_repositories or
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Coding_conventions

Yours,
Chris K.