I for one definitely support the "concept" of a CoC; and the enforcement of
it.

I also definitely agree with Yaron. He's not even arguing about the merits
of a CoC. He's simply stating that the file doesn't belong in every single
repo. I wholeheartedly agree with that position. He's also arguing
(subsequent to point 1) that there was never a community decision to put
the file everywhere. I think having it in every repo is clutter and
counterproductive. Regardless of whether or not people pay attention to
banners, footers, and other "messages" about policy, standards, or rules,
you still have 'em. And they're not repeated in every single repository.  I
will assume that one major reason for GitHub placing it in every repo is
for them to "CYA" when it comes to high stakes sexual harassment lawsuits.
Now they'll make the case that it was "Posted No Trespassing" everywhere. I
can imagine that WMF is doing the same. I can also (as a consultant) see
how written policies which my clients see in my code could be construed as
a possible LIABILITY or RISK on their  part. They'll either want me to
carry more indemnity insurance, or even be disinclined to do business with
me. Not because they don't abide by the code of conduct, but because
there's an explicit notice of some obligation that creates liability.

I say take the file out of every repo. WMF has clearly stated it's policy
of having a CoC. Advertise it in the UI of the technical spaces, not the
file repositories.

~ Greg

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com