On Friday, June 8, 2018, Chris Koerner <nob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I for one think that requiring a specific filesystem structure or notice
in
>> a git repo is quite far afield from the sorts of things that CoC is
>> designed to deal with.
>
> I agree. I do think that as a community of practice we have many
> unwritten rules and numerous expectations of how we work together. We
> don't explicitly define the expectation of a README.MD file in repos
> either.[0] It's a best practice and cultural expectation in our spaces
> to include one. The code works the same with or with out it.
>
> Yeah, sure a coc.md isn’t “the same”, but both are expected as
> something we do as a community. If we need to write that down
> somewhere so there's no repeat confusion on if it's expected or not,
> that seems like a good compromise. However, I'd like to think we don't
> have to define everything, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
>
> [0] I'm waiting for someone to contradict me on this risky comparison.
> :) I could not find anything explicit in
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/New_repositories or
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Coding_conventions
>
> Yours,
> Chris K.

The issue is, it seems like this is not something we "do" as a community:

* There was a previous discussion about requiring coc.md. there was a lot
of arguing and no clear "winner", but a very significant portion of the
opinions was that CoC.md was highly recommended but not required if the
extension maintainer didnt want it. Thus supporting Yaron's position.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T165540#3358929
* There is a general community norm that overriding a -2 by a maintainer of
a component is an extraordinary action, even more so when the person doing
it is not a maintainer of the extension. This situation is no where near
clear cut enough to justify that without discusion
* Generally speaking, its usually considered in poorform to have an
argument about something, lose the argument (or at least not win it), wait
a year until people forget about it, and then try and do the exact same
thing.

--
brian