> The message which was sanctioned was even of an especially thoughtful
> kind, in my opinion, because it didn't attempt to submerge the other users
> with walls of text, politically correct tirades or otherwise charged
> statements. It was merely a heartfelt interjection to help people stop,
> reconsider their actions and self-improve without the need of lectures. Was
> this peculiar effort at constructive facilitation considered? If not, what
> alternatives or constructive suggestions were provided?

No, it was not thoughtful. What actually happened is that the other users
are now submerged with dozens of emails analyzing that interjection. Sure,
it's pretty easy to ignore this thread or even mute it in one's email
reader, but one could just as well ignore that bug report. So no, it's not
thoughtful. It's provocative, unnecessary, and nonconstructive.

Using the f-word shouldn't be fully banned, but it should be obvious that
it is not always OK. Every case of using such language is supposed to
trigger a consideration: "Is it OK to use it now?". This should be common
sense, but apparently it isn't, so it's good to have a CoC to encourage
people to be considerate. And it's good to enforce the CoC when necessary.

The fact that the f-word was used elsewhere in the code and on Phabricator
is not an excuse. This is also what the well-known English Wikipedia essay
"Other stuff exists"[1] is about: by itself, precedent is not
justification. In this case it was not OK. It often happens that a bug that
shouldn't have been closed is closed. When one thinks that this happened,
one can reopen it with a constructive explanation. It doesn't have to be a
wall of text, but it really shouldn't be an f-word.

Can the process around the CoC be better? Probably. Could the process
around deploying the new WMF website be better? Definitely.

Is it OK to use f-words to complain about it? Absolutely not. It's not
friendly, it's not thoughtful, it's not funny, it's not constructive.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Other_stuff_exists

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬