On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Stas Malyshev <smalys...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> 1. The account was disabled without any indication (except the email to
> the person owning it, which is also rather easy to miss - not the
> admin's fault, but read on) of what and why happened, as far as I could
> see. Note that Phabricator is a collaborative space, and disabling an
> account may influence everybody who may have been working with the
> person, and even everybody that working on a ticket that this person
> commented once. If they submitted a bug and I want to verify with them
> and the account is disabled - what do I do?
> People are left guessing - did something happen? Did his user leave the
> project? Was it something they said? Something I said? Some bug? Admin
> action? What is going on? There's no explanation, there's no permanent
> public record, and no way to figure out what it is.
>
> What I would propose to improve this is on each such action, to have
> permanent public record, in a known place, that specifies:
> a. What action it was (ban, temporary ban - with duration, etc.)
> b. Who decided on that action and who implemented it, the latter - to be
> sure if somebody thinks it's a bug or mistake, they can ask "did you
> really mean to ban X" instead of being in unpleasant and potentially
> embarrassing position of trying to guess what happened with no information.
> c. Why this action was taken - if sensitive details involved, omitting
> them, but providing enough context to understand what happened, e.g.
> "Banned X for repeated comments in conflict with CoC, which we had to
> delete, e.g. [link], [link] and [link]" or "Permanently banned Y for
> conduct unwelcome in Wikimedia spaces", if revealing any more details
> would hurt people.

That proposed solution does not solve the problem you are proposing it for.
If a person I'm interacting with on Phabricator or Gerrit disappears, I'm
not going to look through CoC ban records, even if I know such a thing
exists (which most people wouldn't, even if it's well-publicized). I'll
just assume they are busy or sick or something.

If we really feel people trying to interact with a banned users should find
out the user is banned, it could be displayed in their Phabricator profile
or in the Phabricator calendar (that results in a little notice icon
everywhere the username is used), although I'd hope the banned person can
opt out of that happening as it feels somewhat stigmatizing.

> 2. There seems to be no clearly defined venue to discuss and form
> consensus about such actions. As it must be clear now, such venue is
> required, and if it is not provided, the first venue that looks suitable
> for it will be roped in. To much annoyance of the people that wanted to
> use that venue for other things.

I doubt that would have much effect - the person who is objecting about a
CoC action benefits from using the forum that grabs the most attention,
even if there's a more appropriate one. People who are considerate enough
not to do that are typically not the ones who end up getting banned.