A customer, by definition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer)
exchanges something of value (money) for a product or service.

That does not mean that a freemium model (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium) is not a valid business model.
However, if there is no exchange of value, the person consuming the free
version of the product or service, is not (yet) a customer.

If MediaWiki is the thing we give away for free, what do we charge money
for?
Are our customers successfully subsidizing our free (as in beer) software?