On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 20:34 +0000, Pine W wrote:

> 1. My impression is that there's agreement that there is a huge backlog.

Phabricator is public. Anyone can propose and report anything. Hence
the number of ideas, bugs, feature requests is usually higher than the
number of available developers (paid or not) needed to work on them.
Hence the number of tasks which will remain unresolved grows.
Because in theory someone could always show up and provide a patch.

If you know a larger free and open source software project where the
number of resolved (not: declined) tickets per month/year/etc is higher
than the number of open(ed) tickets, I'd be curious to know.

> 2. I think that there's consensus that the backlog is a problem.

No, why?

There are likely quite some ideas that don't make much sense to
prioritize and fix (out of project scope, time consuming because of
required huge architecture changes, increased test complexity and
maintenance costs after adding yet another preference, etc etc).

And many ideas and bugs that will not get fixed (limited number of
available developers, different individual and group priorities) until
you (or someone else) writes code if you're really interested in seeing
that fixed. (If that idea is considered 'in scope' - see above.)

And disappointment *if* someone makes a decision to decline a request.
And followup discussion to challenge someone's decision which takes
time that could have been spent to work on tasks that someone considers
more important.
In practice, people and time are limited resources.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/