Hi!

> 1. My impression is that there's agreement that there is a huge backlog.

Obviously, there is a backlog. As for it being "huge", it's subjective,
for someone who has experience with long-running projects, having
thousands of issues in the bug tracker is nothing out of the ordinary.
Does it make the backlog "huge"? I don't know, depends of what is "huge".

> 2. I think that there's consensus that the backlog is a problem.

I'm not sure where such a consensus came from. Of course, bugs not being
resolved immediately is not the ideal situation - ideally, the bug would
be fixed within hours of submitting it. Nobody thinks it can really
happen. Any large popular long-running project has more bugs and
wishlist items than it can implement. There are always more users than
developers and more ideas than time. Thus, the backlog. Of course,
ignoring the backlog completely would be the problem, but I don't think
we have this situation. It's likely we could do better. But I think we
know the backlog exists, and its existence by itself is not a problem,
or at least not a problem that can be realistically solved for such a
huge project.

> Regarding my own opinions only, I personally am frustrated regarding
> multiple issues:
>
> a. that there's been discussion for years about technical debt,

I'm not sure why it's the source of frustration for you. Having
discussion about technical debt is great. Of course, it should also lead
to fixing the said debt - which I think is happening. But expecting that
starting some magic date we stop having technical debt or the need to
address it as realistic as deciding starting today our code won't have
bugs anymore.

> b. that WMF's payroll continues to grow, and while I think that more
> features are getting developed, the backlog seems to be continuing to grow,

Of course. How it could be any other way? With more features, come more
places that can have bugs (you don't expect WMF to be the only software
developing organization in the Multiverse that writes code without
bugs?) and once people start using them, they inevitably ask for
improvements and have ideas on how to extend it, thus adding more tasks.
Expecting that more functionality would lead to less issues in the bug
tracker is contrary to what I have experienced over my whole career - it
never happened, unless the project is effectively dead and the users
have moved away.

> f. that I think that some of what WMF does is good and I want to support
> those activities, but there are other actions and inactions of WMF that I
> don't understand or with which I disagree. Conflicts can be time consuming>
> and frustrating for me personally, and my guess is that others might feel
> the same, including some people in WMF. I don't know how to solve this. I

I don't think it's possible to "solve" this. Unless you are appointed
the Supreme Dictator of WMF, there always would be things that WMF does
and you disagree. And so would be the case for every other person who
cares about what WMF does. We just need to find things that we can do
that a lot of people can use and not too many people disagree, but
there's no way to guarantee you won't disagree with anything (for any
value of "you"). I think we already have processes for finding this kind
of kinda-consensus-even-though-not-completely. As all processes, they
are not ideal. They can be improved with specific suggestions. But
expecting that nobody (and any specific person in particular) would ever
think "WMF is totally wrong in doing this!" is not realistic. Reasonable
people can and do disagree. Reasonable people also can work through
disagreements and find common interests and ways to contribute to mutual
benefit. I think that's what we're trying to do here.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org