We did a small project consisting on 1 auditorium about 300 users.  Our
setup was AP's in auditorium, through Bluesockets to LDAP server.  We
created a web-page that would allow the teacher to login and turn
wireless on and off for his/her users.

This scenario allowed adjacent rooms to still function (share bandwidth
without creating holes) without "shutting off" the AP or radios.  It
worked great...but,

The problem wasn't so much "could it be work" but one of "should it" and
how the systems on the back were taxed.  First there was the programming
for every class, room, building, time, Bluesocket to subnet...(you get
the picture).  (This would allow us to disallow access only to the
appropriate people in the building of the class.)  Then once the submit
button was pressed all the LDAPS had to change user roles and all the
users had to be checked to see if they were "online" and if so kicked
off.  Then users would try to login again and get a screen that said the
teacher said it was off for this class.

It became an issue of should you use technology to fix a social or (you
fill in the blank) issue and it was much easier to politely ask the
teacher to police their class.

We are finding that over time teachers seem to become less concerned
about hearing a lot of machines clicking (keyboards) and that more
students are coming with "tablet like" computers and use their own
handwriting.  It makes it much easier for them to take notes when they
see the exact same .ppt and can circle items just like the professor
did.