If you're going to be really measuring yourself against an SLA, the only sane way I can see would be to do so with a metrics tool like 7Signals, Streetwise, or NetBeez. This would also force you to specify exactly *where* you're trying to offer a given SLA, allowing you to focus on critical areas like classrooms, while explicitly leaving unmonitored areas like parking lots at a best-effort only level.

Once you have metrics being gathered via an objective tool, questions like one AP out of a group going offline don't matter nearly so much anymore. As long as you're hitting your metrics (able to connect, at least XX throughput, no more than YY jitter) you're good, regardless of individual component level status.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken