To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] It's been a long road

Sorry to answer my own post but it is late and I read this and thought
my message may have not been clear. When I say below that your opinions
on this do not count I am not referring to the context of your opinions
importance within WISPA. Here your opinions always count. I was
referring to what the government is looking at and what they ignore.

No need to explain John.   It was clear from the start.

Sadly we do not have as much representation which is favorable to our
industry as we had under Michael Powell and Company. The game is afoot
to make life harder for us and easier for the poor ILECs. We need to be
very careful going forward. Life could be very scary for those who do
not have a strong foothold in their business. It may even be quite scary
for those of us who have a strong hold. Asking for the government to
stay out of our business now is like asking the biker to leave your
daughter alone as she is driving off down the road on the back of the
Harley. I hope my position in all this makes a little more sense now.

Maybe.   But I'm still going to tell the biker he better  behave.

The question I have for you is...

In two years, when your filing at the FCC includes the  addresses and IP
numbers of every customer over 200Kb/s, what will you do?

Will you go along, or will you suddenly find religion and start a fight you
surrendered  already?

As for me,  I will be eventually changing my service descriptions to remove
all references to "broadband" and there will won't be a "kb/sec"
designation.  And if the FCC asks, I do not offer "broadband internet".   I
will have alternative service descriptions.   "Gateway services" has a nice
ring.   Or maybe I'll offer free ( no cost to me content ) streaming video
services and call my service "wireless video" and it just happens to gateway
you to the internet.   My business name does not have an internet reference.
I'll gladly alter wording for the rest, as well.

Of course, this will eventually mean that the FCC will start mandating
network practices and defining and regulating connectivity.    Maybe it'll
buy me a few years before I have to sell to Qwest or Sprint, but I will
NEVER comply with such an intrusive thing.   I'll "game" them if I have to,
and if they regulate it this tight, I'm gone.

I just hope to God that WISPA's on our side, not the government's.

Scriv